Cucumis - Free online translation service
. .

Translation - Brazilian Portuguese-English - Receita de pudim de leite

Current statusTranslation
This text is available in the following languages: Brazilian PortugueseEnglishItalian

Category Food

This translation request is "Meaning only".
Receita de pudim de leite
Submitted by Marianne Soares Oliveira
Source language: Brazilian Portuguese

Receita De Pudim de Leite

3 ovos
1 lata de leite condensado
1 lata de leite

Bata tudo no liquidificador e asse em banho-maria. E coloque na geladeira por 2 horas.
Remarks about the translation
Por favor alguém pode traduzir esta receita pra mim! Obrigada! Para o Inglês dos EUA!

Milk pudding recipe

Translated by hitchcock
Target language: English

Milk pudding recipe

3 eggs
1 can of condensed milk
1 can of milk
Blend it all in a blender and cook in a bain-marie.
And put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Remarks about the translation

1) "1 can of milk" means after you pour out the condensed milk you use the empty can to measure how much regular milk you put in.

2) a "bain-marie" is a cooking technique where you put one saucepan or a pyrex bowl inside another saucepan - the bottom one has water in it, and they go on the stove. You can find pictures of it at google images (or on the bottom of the page below).
Last validated or edited by kafetzou - 24 September 2007 14:08

Latest messages


22 September 2007 14:57

Number of messages: 7963
Is there a word in English for a bain-marie, or do we just use the French word?

CC: IanMegill2 Tantine

22 September 2007 14:57

Number of messages: 7963
Also, what is a "can of milk"? What kind of milk comes in a can, and how big is it?

22 September 2007 15:34

Number of messages: 1670
Hi Kafetzou,

Yes, in my dictionary, "bain-marie" is used in English as well. I've heard the word before sometimes too. The dictionary also gives the option of "water bath," but to me "bain-marie" gives me a clearer idea of the cooking style.

But then, French words are always more precise!

22 September 2007 17:40

Number of messages: 121
hi all
i also thought that "can of milk" is something strange but thats what's written in the original text...I believe he meant "milk box/pack" or something like that...

22 September 2007 18:18

Number of messages: 7963
Thanks, hitchcock. Thinking along the same lines, I actually already validated the translation.

23 September 2007 20:14

Number of messages: 2747
Sorry Kafetzou,

I was away from my computer two days, so I only got my messages tonight.

"Bain-marie" can also be translated as "double boiler".


23 September 2007 22:44

Number of messages: 7963
But I think of a bain-marie as a big square pan with hot water in it and several smaller, flatter pans floating in it, as is used in commercial kitchens:

this picture

whereas a double boiler is two pots that fit into one another and go on the stove:
this picture.

Do you think a double boiler is what was meant here? It would make sense, if this is a recipe to be used at home.

23 September 2007 22:49

Number of messages: 3705
Some notes, I think useful:

1) In Brazil, condensed milk does come in cans

2) "A can of milk" means that, after putting the condensed milk, use the can to measure an equal amount of milk.

3) In Portuguese, "banho-maria" designates the cooking technique of boiling in a recipient inside another recipient full of water. Just the latter one has direct contact with the flames. The equipment you showed above, kafetzou, seems to be intended for that. In the original text, however, it means the technique, not the equipment itself.

23 September 2007 22:51

Number of messages: 12413
Yes it is, "bain marie" is the method that consists in cooking something in a sauce-pan which is put into another sauce-pan containing water. I don't even have this double sauce-pan above, and simply use two sauce-pans of different size. I make very good "sauce béarnaise" this way. So "bain Marie" is originally name for the method of cooking, not the device. Name of the device was assimilated when the first special devices were conceived and then commercialized.

24 September 2007 09:16

Number of messages: 2747
Hi Kafetzou,

The Bain marie can be either the very big "collective kitchen" type apparatus (for keeping shcool dinners luke warm) or a type of double pan, like the one you have shown, but the upper pan is often without a handle and fits inside the lower pan so as the sides of the upper pan are heated by the water in the lower pan.

A bain marie is often used in the oven so they are often rectangular rather than round and have metal handles rather than bakelite or wooden ones.

Mostly when cooking "au bain marie", you just put a glass bowl (type pyre into a saucepan full of water.

Real contraption cost the earth!!!

Everyone to their stoves!!


24 September 2007 14:07

Number of messages: 7963
Oh thank you all you culinary experts! I have put some notes under the text to make it clear to the uninitiated. I think the bain-marie is then this:


or this:


24 September 2007 14:09

Number of messages: 2102
Yeap, you're more than right. Vive le bain-marie!